Thursday, August 16, 2012

Night Falls on Penang Island

There are 1,001 things I should be doing. It's the first week of school, and getting everyone back into the swing of things takes some effort. I should be telling the kids to take a shower. I should be washing dishes. I should be working on that PTO Volunteer Opportunities sheet that I suggested our school create. So many things!

Instead, I'm out on my bedroom balcony enjoying the sunset. Stop and smell the roses. Right?

A haze has hovered over the island for most of the summer. Indonesia is using fire to clear land, and the ash floats over to Penang. For days, the whiteness blocked out the sun, and I haven't been able to see more than partway across the straits. I couldn't even go outside last weekend without my eyes burning.

But today, the haze has lifted. And the sunset was spectacular.



Night falls on Penang Island


I took this photo with the new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V that hubby gave me for my birthday last month. It's a point-and-shoot, and I'm loving it.


This post is part of Friday Daydreamin' at R We There Yet Mom? Check it out for more around-the-world travel inspiration.

8 comments:

  1. The colors in that photo are amazing! I love nighttime skylines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed the trail from Budget Travelers Sandbox, and R we there yet Mom. The sony took a great night photo. What a view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo, I'm glad the smoke haze lifted in time to give you such a lovely view. I'm looking forward to seeing the sunsets again in Penang next year. I think I can even guess where you live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I read a post of yours months ago where you took pictures of your neighborhood, and I recognized the houses. We'll have to meet up when you return.

      Delete
  4. That is a gorgeous shot!!! What a great little camera you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo, Michele!

    Glad to hear that the haze has lifted. We haven't been effected too much by the burning...yet. I'm hopeful that the winds have been in Singapore's favor this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning!!! Absolutely breathtaking! Love your pic so much... National Geographic standard, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Penang. I just discovered your blog and think it is great. Do you mind if I add your blog to my blogroll? Please visit my blog, Retired in Malaysia, at www.ifoundmalaysia.com Thanks, Steve

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics